Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Rate this a Slam Dunk

"Being a professional is doing the things you love to do, on the days you don't feel like doing them."

- Basketball Hall of Famer, Julius Irving aka Dr. J.

I came across this gem of a quote in a book on motivation: Drive, by Daniel Pink. Mr. Pink is a metro red line neighbor of mine and an authority on 'the changing world of work.' More or less, his book falls under the umbrella of self-help. His 2-month long national book tour is winding down in the DC area and his speaking engagements are posted on his blog... just an fyi for any DC area residents (i.e., non-Canadians) reading this post.

To continue with our slam dunk theme, please enjoy the video of Le Dunk de la Mort. In the 2000 Olympics, Vince Carter JUMPED OVER a 7'2" French player, Frederic Weis, in the USA's 85-75 win over the French for a ... Slammmm Dunk.





(blog fodder: Lauren told me she would post last night, but nary a bold word appeared in my google reader from the rookiepros blogspot this morning... i SURPRISE her with a new post of my own and the only commentary from LAHP is: why did you include that basketball video)

3 comments:

  1. Please copyright RED FOX when you use phrases like SLAM DUNK.

    Thank you kindly,

    Jake Klim (for the Red Fox)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another great basketball-related quote that can be applied to multi-sport:

    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

    -Michael Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yes, sean. a VERY applicable quote for the 'rookie pros'

    ReplyDelete